Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate." — Mark 10:9 (NIV)
Marriage is one of God's greatest gifts. It is not merely a contract between two people but a covenant established before God. Yet many marriages struggle because husbands and wives enter the relationship carrying a "red pen."
A red pen is used to correct errors, circle mistakes, and point out what is wrong. While it has its place in a classroom, it has no place as the primary tool of a marriage.
Too often we become experts at highlighting our spouse's shortcomings. We keep mental records of failures, missed expectations, careless words, and unmet needs. Instead of celebrating what God is building, we spend our energy editing one another. Constant criticism slowly erodes trust, intimacy, and joy.
God never intended marriage to be a relationship where two people compete to prove who is right. He designed it to be a covenant where two people choose to love faithfully, even when life is difficult.
A perspective is shaped by our experiences, emotions, preferences, and opinions. Perspectives can change from one season to another. What seems obvious today may look very different tomorrow. If we build our marriage only on our own perspective, conflict becomes inevitable because two imperfect people will rarely see everything the same way.
A covenant, however, is different. A covenant says, "I choose to remain committed even when I don't fully understand. I choose forgiveness over resentment. I choose unity over winning the argument. I choose love over pride."
The question in marriage should not always be, "How can I change my spouse?" Instead, ask, "How can I better reflect Christ in this covenant?"
Jesus did not love the Church because she was perfect. He loved her into transformation. His love was sacrificial, patient, and faithful. That same Christ-like love is the model for every Christian marriage.
This does not mean ignoring serious issues or pretending problems do not exist. Healthy marriages require honest conversations, accountability, repentance, and growth. But correction should always be wrapped in grace, and truth should always be spoken in love. The goal is restoration, not condemnation.
When you lay down the red pen, you pick up compassion. You begin to notice your spouse's strengths more than their weaknesses. You become quicker to forgive, slower to judge, and more willing to extend the same grace that God has extended to you.
Marriage flourishes when covenant becomes greater than perspective. Love grows when commitment is stronger than emotion. Peace increases when grace speaks louder than criticism.
Reflection Questions
Am I spending more time correcting my spouse than encouraging them?
Do I fight to protect my perspective, or do I fight to protect our covenant?
How can I demonstrate Christ's love in my marriage this week?
Prayer
Heavenly Father,
Thank You for the gift of marriage and for the covenant You created. Forgive us for the times we have been quick to criticize and slow to love. Help us to put away the red pen of constant fault-finding and clothe us with compassion, humility, patience, and grace. Teach us to honor our covenant above our personal perspectives. May our marriages reflect the faithful love of Christ and bring glory to Your name. Strengthen our commitment, deepen our love, and make our homes places where forgiveness, peace, and joy abound.
In Jesus' name, Amen.
Pastor Gaudin &Gracious
"Christ in You, The Hope of glory"

No comments:
Post a Comment
God bless you for Reading, May you be blessed